Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Rabbits on the verge...

Playlist
Various – Pictures of You
IQ – Frequency
Dream Theater – Systematic Chaos
Various – Annual Top 10 Albums 1959-2009
Ornette Coleman – The Shape of Jazz to Come
John Coltrane – A Love Supreme
Miles Davis – Kind of Blue
Charles Mingus – The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Thelonious Monk – Straight No Chaser
Eric Dolphy – Out to Lunch
Dexter Gordon – Go!
The Dave Brubeck Quartet – Time Out
Andrew Hill – Compulsion
The Bad Plus – Suspicious Activity?
The Bad Plus - Prog
Various - Top 100 LPs 2008
Lee Morgan – The Sidewinder
Cecil Taylor – Unit Structures
Geneva - Further

Started the day with cover versions of Cure songs while I burned DVDs of my listing of 500 subjectively good LPs from the last 50 years for sister Pam and for Macclesfield Craig, the latter having provided said Cure compilation...

Enjoyed too the rocking sounds of IQ and Dream Theater before heading out, soundtracked by my top 500, on the long walk to the doctor’s to pick up my prescription for more strong painkillers...

Here I am doggedly walking along the main street in Corstorphine, having made my way down the hill and heading now towards the zoo...



And here are some rabbits in a field near the surgery...




Copped out and took the bus home after a further walk to the chemist to have the prescription filled...

Back home, came across Amazon’s list of the top 100 jazz albums of “all time” and listened to tracks from those which are also in my “top” listings...

Of the 100 in question, I have only 29 – but quite a few of Amazon’s are ruled out by my “no place in jazz for vocals (erm, unless it's The Bad Plus)” rule...

After a particularly exhausting day for Anne at work, I undertook the task of cooking dinner and, though I say so myself, I made a pretty good job of it...

Watched a “Culture Show” special re the Royal Academy’s Summer Exhibition – very interesting - particularly taken with Damien Hurst’s silver statue of St Bartholomew...

They give a prize for the best piece, a prize as rich as the Turner (£25k) but which receives very little publicity – they went for a video piece, "Turning the Place Over" by Richard Wilson - not the Victor Meldrew actor though...

Here it is from my vantage point lying on the sofa...



Then, the two latest episodes of “Robin Hood”, one on tape and one on the BBC’s I-Player – all adherence to the accepted story of Robin Hood seems to have gone out the window – but it’s making things that bit more interesting...

More music later on as I prepared for tomorrow’s trip to Manchester with Chris-with-a-Ch to see Pet Shop Boys in concert – and, hopefully, do a wee bit of CD shopping, having not ventured out really for nearly two weeks...



Last thing, Meg the Black Cat showed her love for Mr Mozart...

Highlight of the Day : Walking to the docs for some new pills...

No comments: