Tuesday, August 14, 2007

You live and learn...

Playlist
John Coltrane – Coltrane’s Sound
Roy Harper – Lifemask
Django Bates - You Live And Learn...(Apparently)
Soft Machine – Seven
Soft Machine – Third

As regular readers will be aware, I’ve recently taken to buying rather a lot of CDs from e-bay now that my dealer, Mr FOPP has been taken off the steets...

Over the last couple of weeks, the following have been delivered to Crispycat Towers at the rate of one, two or three discs a day...

Annie Lennox – Diva
Annie Lennox - Medusa
Jonatha Brooke - Careful What You Wish For
Chick Corea - Works
Return To Forever - No Mystery
John Cage - Sonatas And Interludes For Prepared Piano
Jonatha Brooke - 10 Cent Wings
Annie Lennox - Bare
Sigismondo D'india - Il Primo Libro De Madrigali
Josquin Desprez - Missa La Sol Fa Re Mi
Bill Bruford & Michiel Borstlap - Every Step a Dance, Every Word a Song
David Cross & Naomi Maki - Electric Chamber Music
The Story – The Angel in the House
The Story - Grace In Gravity
Alan Morse - Four O'Clock And Hysteria
Various - Downtown Does The Beatles Live At The Knitting Factory
John Surman - How Many Clouds Can You See
Jansen Barbieri Karn - Seed
Trevor Rabin - Con Air Soundtrack
Django Bates - You Live And Learn...(Apparently)

The latest of these arrived today...



As you will also be aware if you pop by on a semi regular basis, I maintain there is no place in jazz for vocals – why then did I buy this CD, when I knew it was jazz and that a vocalist was featured...

This was the question Anne also asked as we listened to it tonight after an abortive trip to a far away Tesco store to collect our new Setanta Capable Freeview Box which isn’t due to be in store until tomorrow according to the paperwork we had in our possession as we stood at the counter asking where our box was....

Anne declared the Django Bates CD to be the worst CD she’s ever heard...

I’m afraid that Django Bates is far too clever for his own good – I am a fan but, whenever I buy one of his discs, I am almost invariably disappointed with the content...

It’s likely that only his cover of David Bowie’s “Life on Mars?” will be heard again in our house (and only on headphones or when Anne’s out of earshot)...

Mind you the reviews at Amazon do make me want to return to the disc to explore what I must surely have missed on my initial listen...

In addition to the above, I’m also now waiting on these purchases to arrive...

Das Synthetische Mischgewebe - Casual
Billy Cobham - Alivemutherforya
Johann Stamitz - Symphonies Volume One
Secret Machines - September 000
Steve Reid Ensemble - Spirits Walk
Brad Mehldau - Live In Tokyo
Glenn Gould - At The Cinema

And I have bids in for the following...

Dennis Chambers/Bunny Brunel/Tony Macalpine - Cab
Poulenc - Chamber Music
Alexi Tuomarila Quartet - O2
Musica Antiqua Koln - Concerti Per L'orchestra Di Dresda
Rameau - Suites From Nais And Zoroastre
Acoustic Ladyland - Last Chance Disco
Esbjorn Svensson Trio - Seven Days Of Falling
Bugge Wesseltoft - Sharing
Salomon Qt - String Quartets In 18th Century England
Esbjorn Svensson Trio - Winter In Venice
Johann Stamitz - Symphonies Vol.2

If they are all successful, that will be 38 CDs in under three weeks..

Maybe it’s the hole in my being left by my atheism which forces me to buy so much music when I already have much more than I’ll ever be able to listen to before I die...

Anyway – on TV tonight – “Eastenders” with the sound down, Rangers v Red Star Belgrade (last minute winner for the Gers), “CSI : Miami” (at last a good episode in this new season), then last week’s “Heroes” on tape – I like this show...

Tomorrow it’s the start of the Edinburgh Film Festival and we’re off to the opening film...

I noted today in the Edinburgh Book Festival programme that Richard Dawkins is speaking on Sunday 19 August – unfortunately, I’m already booked in to see three films that day...

Oh well...

Highlight of the Day : Heroes and Soft Machine (not Django Bates)

1 comment:

Sid Smith said...

Great to see Seven on your playlist. I know everyone goes on about Third (including me) but Seven is also something of a classic albeit a very different line-up.

Agree 100% with your comment about Bates. It's all clever stuff and it's probably meant to be doing me good but I find it all a bit too dry. No matter how many times I play it, it never reveals its charms.