Sunday, August 19, 2007

Closer...

Playlist
Various – Tracks from the last 100 CDs I’ve bought...
Godspeed You Black Emperor - F#A#Infifnity
Godspeed You Black Emperor - Slow Riot For New Zero Canada
Joy Division - Still

Mindful of my discussions yesterday with Dr Prog re my CD acquiring habits, and the lack of attention I give to CDs once I’ve actually acquired them, I spent much of the morning compiling CDs featuring one track each from the last 100 CDs to enter the collection - with a view to providing me with in-car listening...

At two we set off for a marathon visit to the Edinburgh Film Festival. Rather than describe the action, I’ve provided links to reviews (why reinvent the wheel)...

First up was an excellent and very funny indeed “mockumentary” on the cult of Australian children’s dance troupes, starring the brilliant Ben Miller...

"Razzle Dazzle" is a small independent film shot in the main with a just couple of cameras and probably comprising a 50/50 split of scripted/improvised scenes, this was a joy to watch...



Next up, the big American blockbuster comedy of the Festival, “Knocked Up”. This was hilarious and probably my favourite film of the fest thus far....



Then a quick dash to take Anne home and back for my third film of the day, Anton Corbjin’s “Control” – the story of Ian Curtis, lead singer of Joy Division, who committed suicide in May 1980...



I was much affected by this film, telling as it did of a period which I lived through and remember like it was yesterday (1973-1980)...

I was left feeling very sad indeed by it all, remembering my own dismay on finding that Ian had killed himself and, rather selfishly of me, that he had stopped Joy Division...

Of course at the time, no-one other than those closely involved in the situation, knew all the circumstances surrounding the tragedy...

For younger readers, imagine the lead singer of the Arctic Monkeys (whoever that is) suddenly killed himself just before the release of that album they did that sold really quickly...

I'd disagree with the reviewer to whom I've linked - this film DID make me want to seek out Joy Division's music and listen again and so I drove home in a rather maudlin state and ended the day with Joy Division’s “Still” on the headphones...

A good day and a bit of history lesson too...

Highlight of the Day : Three great films in one day

No comments: