Friday, August 17, 2007

Schwesterherz and sparkle...

Playlist
Laura Veirs – Year of Meteors
Del Amitri – Hatful of Rain : The Best of
Steve Reid Ensemble – Spirit walk
Billy Cobham - Alivemutherforya

The film festival beckoned again today as I partook of two films, the second in Anne’s company...

First up was “Schwesterherz” (rather strangely translated as “Twisted Sister” - some people thought I was going to see the eighties heavy rock band when I advised my planned movements for the evening)...

I won’t bother writing about the plot etc (see the link to a review below), suffice to say I enjoyed it, notwithstandin a few uncomfortable moments, but I thought it a lot better than this reviewer evidently did...

As I emerged bleary-eyed into the foyer Anne was waiting for me and we queued for the second film of the day, “Sparkle”...

This was the UK premiere of the film and was attended by the stars Stockard Channing, Shaun Evans and Amanda Ryan but, sadly, not Bob Hoskins, Lesley Manville or Anthony Head...

I really liked this film – I thought it much better than “Hallam Foe” and can’t agree with this reviewer regarding Shawn Evans, whom I considered to be a loveable jack the lad, reminding me of a young Paul Nicholas or a 1970’s David Essex...

Bob Hoskins was quite brilliant in his supporting role...



Back home, two more CDs had arrived, some hot jazz from two drummers, Steve Reid and Billy Cobham and I rounded off a good day with them on the old headphones......

Highlight of the Day : Sparkle

No comments: