Saturday, August 18, 2007

Love songs...

Playlist
Esbjorn Svensson Trio – Tuesday Wonderland
Jordi Savall; Le Concert Des Nations - Les Grandes Eaux Musicales De Versailles
Various – The Wire Downloads
The Divine Comedy – Fin de Siecle
Alvin Curran – Inner Cities
David Bowie - Sound & Vision
Das Synthetische Mischgewebe - Casual Praise of Domestic Calamities
Grant Green – The Main Attraction
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Ersatzreal
Sarah McLachlan – Solace
Sparklehorse – Dreamt for Light Years In The Belly of a Mountain
Michael Nyman – Film Music 1980-2001
Sarah McLachlan - Surfacing

Up at 1:15 am – that’s far too early – back to bed and up again at 6:30...

Downloaded around 60 MP3s from The Wire’s website (everything posted up there over the last 9 months – can’t believe it’s 9 months since I last looked there for MP3s)...

Whilst doing this, I copied the remaining CDs which I needed to return to the library today – I had a loose arrangement to meet up with Dr Prog there so that he could borrow the Miles Davis Box Set I was returning – along with that, of the discs I borrowed, particularly excellent was the 4CD Alvin Curran Box Set of piano music, “Inner Cities”...

Of course as is the way with a small black cat, Meg the Black cat had to help out with all of the above by snoozing in front of the computer...



Yet another new disc arrived from e-bay and it accompanied our drive to Patisserie Florentin for breakfast...

In the vein of the more hardcore clicks and cuts type “music” (it’s not really music, just noises) it’s unlikely to be played again...

After breakfast, I walked up from Stockbridge to the library where I handed back the 7 items borrowed three weeks ago and borrowed just three new ones – a 4CD box of music by Monteverdi, a 3CD opera by Vivaldi (though not the one I went to last Sunday) and a 3CD set by Les Arts Florissants of Rameau’s “Les Indes Galantes”, which I recall buying in Verona in the late 80’s but which was put into the stock when we had our shop...

Dr Prog was nowhere to be seen – but, once outside, I bumped into him in the street and we returned to the library for him to choose some stuff...

Then for a coffee and a spot of lunch at a little café place just by the statue of Greyfriars’ Bobby...

I was due to get the bus home as Anne had the car this afternoon re her attendance of the Hearts match (a very disappointing 1-1 draw at home to supposedly lowly Gretna, while Queens lost again, this time away to Hamilton 1-0...aaargh!!)...

However the good doctor had the prog-mobile and we were heading to pick it up when we were flyered for a free comedy gig – so we thought “why not?” and made our way along...

3 Comedians for the Price of None” was an excellent hour long show which runs till 25 August and is heartily recommended – honestly, it’s very funny and I have no axe to grind in recommending it...

On the way back to the prog-mobile we had to pop into the Oxfam shop and I bought another 4 CDs (while the progmeister bought some classical stuff and some opera videos but passed up on Grant Green’s “The Main Attraction” for just 99p)...

Two discs by Canadian songstress Sarah McLachlan, a 2CD set of the best of Michael Nyman’s film music and last year’s Sparklehorse album made their way into the ever expanding CBQ CD collection...

On the way home I filled Dr Prog with regret as I played his passed-over Grant Green album from my Jukebox via his car stereo...

In the evening, I was off to see a French film in the festival while Anne was going with her friend Michelle to a colleague’s 30th birthday party...

They left just after seven and I spent an hour or so listening to music with Meg the Black Cat before heading out into the rain (rain all day today)...

After a struggle finding a parking spot I made it to the Filmhouse with 30 minutes to spare...

Tonight’s film, "Les Chansons d'Amour" ("Love Songs") was billed as a comedy/musical and, as this review says, started off fluffily enough with a jokey menage a trois scenario but things soon got a little darker...

All in all I enjoyed the film and this is probably a better review than the artsy fartsy one above...

I was enjoying the Q&A with the French director after the screening when I felt my phone vibrating and had to leave – it was Anne wondering where I was – I’d lost all track of time...

Walked back to the car through the rain and drove home to the delightful sounds of Ms McLachlan...

Ended the day with Richard Burtion and Peter O'Toole in "Beckett"...

Highlight of the Day : An unexpected Stand Up show with Dr Prog

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Meg had the wrong idea when you told her there was a mouse on your computer table.