Thursday, August 30, 2007

Better than David Batty....

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Doveloveshawk
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Ampersand
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Anotherhappyday
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Ersatzreal

645 days ago, I broke my ankle...

Tonight I returned to 5-a-sides for the first time since then, proudly sporting my Argentina top – bought back in 1998 to watch the match between England and the Argies which the latter won 4-3 on penalties after a 2-2 draw...



Glad to see it still fits...

My fears of suffering a heart attack within the first five minutes proved unfounded but my team (“Lights” – as opposed to “Darks”) went two-nil down “early doors” as they say in football-speak...

Then, sensation of sensations, I scored our first goal, meeting a cross from the left perfectly at the back post to hammer home from close range...

Then, further sensation of sensations, we won a penalty and I was elected to take it (sympathy vote I suspect). I despatched it forcefully into the bottom corner...

Although I was at fault for at least three goals from the opposition, due to general fat slowness and timidity re the possibility of breaking my leg again, at full time the “Lights” ran out 7-5 winners...

A few handshakes and a promise to return next week (when the game will revert to indoors and the hall where the great bone splitting calamity took place) and it was into the car and home for a quick turnaround and back out into the night with Anne to see old chum James Jamieson giving it his all in the featured slot at Out of the Bedroom...

We arrived just in time for the 30 minute set...

We wished Jamie could’ve played for longer as he only played around six songs and he has a great catalogue of excellent numbers...

I noticed he’d changed the arrangements of a couple of his older songs and, though these new versions sounded unfamiliar at first, the strength of the songs themselves pulled them through...



The rest of the night was of a pretty high standard with, as is usual for OOTB, a couple of exceptions...

Your correspondent played a single song slot with “I Rearranged the House”...

Around midnight we were speeding through the darkness to Tesco for bread for some late night beans on toast not having had any dinner earlier on...

Then we spent some considerable time trying to set up the new Setanta-ready Freeview Box but there is a problem with the reception and I fear the solution to this will require further outlays of cash...

Oh well...

Highlight of the Day : Returning to 5’s/James Jamieson live...

No comments: