Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Unimpressive...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Acoustic Soundingfall

A lovely morning...





...preceeded a fairly uneventful day...

In the evening, however, it was off to Secret CD XXIII, where I met up with Stewart (Peri Urban) and Bob, my erstwhile Dancers of San Martino colleagues, to witness tonight's proceedings...



Peri wanted to get an idea of what he will face next month...

The four acts tonight were not the best I've ever seen at Secret CD...

First up was Yogi - while his songs were "ok", he seemed incapable of tuning his guitar - at one point a member of the audience tuned it for him - or attempted to anyway, it wasn't much better for the intervention...

Try his myspace though - he's much better in front of a punky band...

Next was best of the night for me, Flora Cook, who had a fine line in jazzy, syncopated Suzanne Vegaesque material and scored points for being in tune...

She has seven tracks over at myspace...

She was followed by another lady songstress, Carolyn Anona Scott, a folk singer who sang in a strong Scottish accent - again not really my cup of tea...

Like yogi though, her myspace tracks, where she benefits from some expert backing, outshine her live performance...

Last up was Steven Smith, a Divine Comedy wannabe who was actually quite enjoyable, with his witty cover of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" and his back up trio of violin, cello and percussion/glockenspiel - unfortunately, for me, there's very little place in music (if any) for camp comedy...

Mr Smith impressed Peri Urban though, who bought his CD at the end of the night...

For my own part, as you might imagine from my description, I wasn't really enticed by any of the quartet on display...

I can only hope I put in a better showing next month where it turns out the excellent Kim edgar will also be playing...

By the way, if you think the above's a wee bit harsh on anyone, you probably weren't in the audience...

Home in time for "Newsnight" at gone eleven then off to bed...

Highlight of the Day : Meeting up with Bob and Stu

No comments: