Saturday, January 10, 2009

Off the wagon...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Soundingfall
Lee Patterson – Stella Maris
King Crimson – The Acceptable Face of...
Loose Change Trio – Unstruck Note
Shawn Colvin – Polaroids : Greatest Hits
Ian Hunter – All American Alien Boy

A long but enjoyable day today...

Up at six and two hours spent remixing new CBQ song, “We Drove”...

Then burned a new master of the seven track demo-so-far of what’s currently called “Soundingfall”, including tweaked EQs and a small measure of slight delay...

Listened to this downstairs on the main sound system while we breakfasted – sounds better than the previously disappointing sound experienced when I played other new song “The Fire in the Clearing” to mum and sister Pam just after Xmas...

So that’s a wee step forward...

Although I think I need to re-record (again!) the lead vocal on “We Drove”...

Also developed a new technique for producing “paintings” from photos (see yesterday’s pic) but, unfortunately, I didn’t actually make a note of what I was doing – but I’m going to try and replicate it and kick start my “Artworks” blog with a pic a day for 2009 if I can be bothered...

Enjoyed Lee Patterson’s album as I pottered around in the CD/music room – understated but the odd wee surprise – nice...

A quick dash for some flowers for Moira and Lex – my mum and dad’s old friends in Bearsden, whom we were visiting today with my mum...

Mum arrived right on cue at 11:30 – in her new car, a silver Astra, which she went forth and bought, advised by sister Pam, during the latter’s Xmas visit...

Lovely...

Off to Glasgow, soundtracked by the acceptable face of King Crimson...

Mum asked “who’s that son?” (as she always does) and I replied “It’s King Crimson mum, you know, Robert Fripp?”...

To which she replied “Ah yes, Robert Fripp – of Fripp & Eno fame?”...

“Yes indeed” I replied, thinking my mum must be one of only a very few people who know Robert Fripp from Fripp & Eno rather than from King Crimson or his guitar escapades on David Bowie’s “Heroes”...

Arrived on time at Lex and Moira’s and some good banter ensued, including tales of their Xmas visit to their daughter and son-in-law Lindsay and Guy’s place in Provence...

A tasty lunch of home made vichyssoise and crusty bread followed and then Anne and I drove to the railway station and took the train into Glasgow...



...where some shopping took place including, for Anne, presents for Xmas, using funds provided by my mum, and a present from me for her upcoming birthday (21 again)...

For my own part, I broke my 2009 duck re CD buying, visiting Missing first of all...

You may recall my self imposed brief this year is not to buy CDs because they are cheap but rather because I actually want them...

In Missing, I noted a £2 CD by a trio from Vancouver but did not purchase – I rather pathetically filed it in my “self justification file” under “band from cities which I’ve recently visited”...

I left the rather dingy Missing...



For the bright lights of the HMV-owned FOPP...

I’d noticed in the Edinburgh store recently Ian Hunter’s “All American Alien Boy” for a measly £3 but I thought I already had it – on checking it turned out I didn’t – so that was partaken of today – however, upstairs, two albums by John Mayall, which I thought would be quite good to have in the collection, were put back in their places, purely because I realised I was only buying them because they were £3 each...

Back downstairs I allowed Leonard Cohen’s “New Skin for the Old Ceremony” to join the Ian Hunter album (on the recent recommendation of Crimson biographer Sid Smith)...

I also toyed with Mercury Rev and Secret Machine’s (£11 in FOPP, later spotted in HMV for £18 – remember HMV owns FOPP) new albums and the 2CD reissue of David Sylvian’s “Gone to Earth” but ended up leaving with just the Hunter and Cohen in my bag...

Back to Missing and I bought the £2 CD by Loose Change Trio, taking a chance on them due to their home town and the instrumentation listed on the sleeve...

Then, through the pouring rain, to HMV but I noticed Zavvi next door was still open and, due to their recent slip into administration, were selling everything with 20% off – so I had to take a look – and I found the Mercury Rev album (which I’m listening to as I type and which is quite superb) for a mere £6.99 less the discount, i.e. £5.60 – result...

And I’ve since downloaded the free companion album “Strange Attractor”...

Met up with Anne again in HMV and we made our way back to the station for the train back to Bearsden...



Driving back to the house I popped the Loose Change Trio into the player – Hmmm –reminded me bit of Family re the vocalist’s trembly exploits – bluesy and jazzy and indeed “quite good”...

More excellent chat at Lex and Moira’s including tales of problems with their computer and Lex’s attempts to scan his vast collection of slides (something which I need to do too)....

Dinner of chicken casserole with potatoes followed by apple pie and custard – Mmmm, mmm...

We set off home just before 10 and were back at Crispycat Towers by 10:45, in time to see Queen of the South’s Scottish Cup sojourn of season 09/10 end after just one game, as they went down 4-2 away to SPL club Falkirk (after leading 2-1)...

No trips to Hampden next year then...

Oh well, it’s only a game...

Probably not what Anne will be thinking tomorrow as Hearts face Hibs away at Easter Road in the same competition...

A good day....

Highlight of the Day : A visit to Bearsden...

No comments: