Wednesday, January 21, 2009

You can't make an omlette - well, actually...

Playlist
Various – The Best Prog Album in the World Ever
Ladyhawke – Ladyhawke
Johnny Harris – All to Bring You Morning
Various – Dirt Beneath the Daydream
Various – From the Velvets to the Voidoids

HMV beckoned at lunchtime today and my pledge to buy fewer CDs this year is as good as down the pan...

Stumbled across (in the easy listening section while looking for Françoise Hardy, even though I knew there’s be nothing new by her) an album from 1973, which I think I still have on vinyl, Johnny Harris’s “All to Bring You Morning” – featuring Jon Anderson, Steve Howe and Alan White of Yes...

To make up my “2 for £10”, I picked up the 2008 album from Ladyhawke...



It’s always more satisfying to discover good new music myself rather than read/hear hype, buy and be disappointed...

I have no idea who Ladyhawke is/are – I just saw a video in a breakfast venue late last year whilst out with Anne and I liked what I heard/saw and so it’s been on my radar...

Tonight it soundtracked our cookery session, as Anne prepared a very tasty omelette, fries and green beans dish for us...





...accompanied, of course, by some lovely red wine...





Corrie and Oz & James entertained, followed by some tasty punk rock and some “Sound” from New Zealand by way of the latest free disc from Wire magazine – sounds better than some of the pish they’ve foisted on me over the years...

Played through a few songs in preparation for Out of the Bedroom tomorrow night – not sure yet what I’ll play – a call from Creek cohort Cobblers announced his intention also to attend tomorrow...

Hopefully I’ll play as well as a fortnight ago – here’s the review:-

“Good to see CBQ back at OOTB, although this is the first time that I’ve seen him.

“We Drove”, is a hauntingly minimalistic narrative. I wasn’t entirely sure what the lyrics were about, but lines such as “I’ll see you around/ don’t worry about the money” were suitably evocative.

“Please Stay With Us” also had a unique lyrical style, narrating everyday occurrences in song, with an upbeat tempo. An interesting juxtaposition, but I did prefer the slightly more abstract take to lyric writing he adopted in the first song. Nothing wrong with versatility though.

“Blend” was a strong finish to the set. Fantastic chord permutations made the three chord progression sound new and refreshing, which is by no means easy. The lyrics speak of blending in with the crowd in the chorus, and there are some absorbing lyrical ideas on show.

Hope to hear him at OOTB again soon.”


Indeed...

Highlight of the day : Cooking with Anne...

No comments: