Saturday, February 17, 2007

Sing for your supper...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet - New Recordings
Various Composers - Great Recordings of the 20th Century
Various - Pitchfork's Best Tracks of 2006

Up around 7 today and to the computer to continue work on the new album, this morning starting the song "I Still Write You Letters" and doing some work on a couple of the others which I've been working on this week..

Around 10, out to Patisserie Florentin with Anne for breakfast - bright and crisp morning....



Then a stroll down to Stockbridge for a quick look in the Oxfam Music Shop (one CD purchase - a classical compilation) while Anne popped next door to Herbie's for some lovely bread for lunch later on...

Then up to George IV Bridge to the Music Library to hand back the CDs I borrowed three weeks ago...

Almost directly opposite the library is the pub where, in a couple of week's time, we'll be meeting up with some old friends from days gone by - ex-members of the band Capital Models and their contemporaries, Pure Bears and a few more from around that time...

Last time we did this was apparently five years ago - I didn't think it was so long since then but it was a great night and we're hoping for another...

Back home I returned to my work and finished off the first working draft of the latest song, which makes seven altogether which I've workied on in the last seven days...

Still a long way to go though...

Work continued whilst Anne was out watching Hearts scrape a 1-1 draw with my hometown (of sorts) team, St Mirren. Meanwhile, QoS whipped their closest rivals 3-0 away from home and are now just one point behind Airdrie (for it is they) with a game in hand...

Mid afternoon, whilst taking a short break, I happened to look out the back window only to see a strange looking chap trying the doors of the cars parked in the street beyond our back garden...

I grabbed my camera and went out the front door, confronting him a little further up the road...



What a cheeky bastard!

I told him to leg it, that I had his picture and was going to call the police....

Of course I didn't bother as they probably wouldn't have turned up for a couple of hours...

And they would also probably have charged me for infringing the would be thief's human rights by photographing his attempted car break ins...

The world's going to hell....

In the evening we drove to Meg the Black Cat's ex-mum Julia's for dinner. I'd put together a CD of the seven songs to listen to while we drove, giving the Exec Producer to have her say on matters...

Mostly positive and I noticed a few things to work on tomorrow...

At Julia's we enjoyed helping her cook some Thai soup followed by home-made pizza - I rolled the bases...

Very tasty indeed - Julia's a great cook - and she appreciated the copy of the Pitchfork 3CD set which I gave to her and which we listened to as we ate and drank - wine for the ladies, orange juice for me...

Later on, once a couple of bottles of wine had been consumed, she produced her guitar and asked me to sing a few songs - so I managed "The end of Everything" without a hitch, forgot a few words and chords in "The Angels Took His Soul" and completely botched "I Still Write You Letters"- the song I had spent practically all day working on and listening too - I am hopeless!

Crispy cake and a glass of port each, then back home just before one and to bed with the new CD on the headphones...

Highlight of the Day : Julia's soup and pizza

1 comment:

Unknown said...

No. You'd have got charged if you made a citizen's arrest, put him in your car and driven him to the Police Station. You'd have been charged with kidnap. Now that is mad. Having said that I'd not want to travel any distance with some weirdo fucker sitting in my car.