Monday, February 26, 2007

Uptight...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Souvenir XIII
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Ersatzreal Work in Progress
Schubert – Impromptus

After running through the set with Andy tonight (4 times no less) I am suffering from an acute crisis of confidence…

It’s not that the playing was bad or the backing tracks sounded naff or the mix wasn’t quite right – I just think there’s so much that could go wrong…

But why am I worrying about what is, after all, an inconsequential performance to a room of probably no more than 25 – 30 people?

Every time I play a gig I get so nervous about what might happen and I start to get things entirely out of proportion…

I am becoming tired of this aspect of my life – why can’t I just let it go and never play live again? Why do I even write and record the songs in the first place? If I didn’t write and play music or write this diary, how much more time would I have for other things?

Anne had been out while Andy and I played and, upon her return, Meg the Black Cat had disappeared. The cat flap was open and we searched all over the house for her before I was sent out into the night shaking a bag of her favourite biscuits…

She was eventually found sitting at the locked back door waiting patiently to be let in…

Later on, she did the same again – out the cat flap at the front – found on the back step 30 minutes later…

I hope she’s not wandering around on the road – at the end of the day though we must accept she’s a free agent and we can’t watch over her every move…

Watched two very disappointing episodes of “Coronation S”, taped tonight while we rehearsed, followed by the latest episode of “Ugly Betty” then retired with some calming piano music on the phones…
Highlight of the Day : Return of Meg the Black Cat from her “adventures”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you still do it cos you love it....and nerves are normal in a perfectionist!

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

You're probably right Linds...

I'm a bit more relaxed tonight - despite Jamie having to call off the planned set run through...

Next time we play together wil be Thursday - only the second time all three of us have played together since August 2005...

Should be good...

Might not be - but what the hell...