Saturday, July 16, 2011

Flashing, crashing, lashing...

Playlist
Mott – Drive On
Mott – Shouting and Pointing
Joe Elliott’s Down’n’Outz – My Re-generation
Yes – Union Live 1991
Alonso Arreola Project – Musica Horizontal
Various – The Cruisin’ Story 1959
Phil Collins – Going Back
Def Leppard – Yeah
John Wetton – Born in Captivity
City and Colour – Little Hell

Up at seven...

From then till ten, updating this for the past couple of days and trawling the net for new music...

Best thing found was Alonso Arreola, a Mexican bass player who, along with his group, plays some fairly intricate, excellently executed, complex music...

Turns out he’s played with King Crimson alumni Trey Gunn and Pat Mastelotto...

There are some interesting videos on Youtube...

I like the use of squeaky toys on this one...



Check out the other vids there for the more complex stuff...

At 10, down to Corstorphine for breakfast with Annie before dropping her off at Tynecastle re the purchase of tickets for the home leg of Hearts’ European game this season (hopefully there will be another)...

They will play Norwegian or Hungarian opponents...

I drove on over to “The Saturday Place” and walked to the music library to hand back the box sets of Bob Dylan and George Russell and the big book on Krautrock...

Nice weather...





This message is hopeful...



Over the main road to West Nicholson Street...



...site of the second Reptile Records from 1995-1998 (the green coffee shop)...



..opposite which, in around 1996/7, this party shop opened...



I remember saying to Anne at the time "I give it six months" - this demonstrates my lack of undersatnding of the stupidity of humans and their willingness to waste hard-earned cash on helium filled balloons - or perhaps it demonstrates that I am a balloon...

Past these two tower blocks (David Hume and Appleton) where I studied in the late 70's - well, I say "studied"...



...past the Mosque...



...past the lovely new buildings at the university...





...past the Students Union - where I spent far too much time...



...past the Health Centre - where a enjoyed Steve Hillage and National Health in 1977...



...past the MacEwan Hall - where I failed a number of exams - well, I say "failed"...



Yes, in fact, failed...



Not to worry...

On to the library...



Nothing further borrowed and back to the car as the weather turned...



Back along George IV Bridge - past The Elephant House with its erroneous claims to have been the place where the first Harry Potter books (they are for children) were written (the cafe in question was on the South Bridge) and the stupid tourists having the pictures taken outside - it actually used to be quite a good coffee house...



Past a real historical monument - Greyfriar's Bobby...



..over the road to the University...



..the health centre...



...the union...



.. the big hall - complete with new guerilla artwork...



...with a new addition...



...past the lovely new buildings...





..past the mosque...



...and the twin towers of learning (sort of)...



..and our old shop...



..and the shop for fun-loving idiots with too much cash...



..and the main street...



..and the Beanscene where I once had a residency during the Edinburgh Festival...



A downpour as I got to the car – the very act of putting my small umbrella into the back of the car was all that was required for me to receive an extreme soaking....









On the way home, downpour over, stopped to pick up some rolls and couldn’t resist a tasty cheese based pastie...

I was caught eating this by a somewhat disappointed and annoyed Exec Producer – who arrived in Corstorphine by bus, advising that I had driven past her a few minutes ago as she waved frantically at me from a packed bus stop, making her look like an idiot...

Ooops...

On to PC World for some ink for the printer...

Forgot to take my glasses in with me and, back home, after ripping the package open and fitting the carton into the machine, discovered I’d bought the wrong one...

Oops...

Back down to PC World and another seven of your English pounds secured the correct (now rather expensive indeed) ink...

At three, back into town, soundtracked by Alonso, and to Waverley Station to pick up sister Pam who arrived after an uneventful journey...

Back home for coffee and mucho chat - Pam looking good...



Anne ran through her pics from the Greek holiday, already a month ago...



Meg the Black cat was also looking good...



As were some of the freshly watered flowers and plants in the garden...







Mum arrived at 6:30...





Hmm, perhaps one cheese based pastie too many for your correspondent...

I will shortly be rejoining the gym - and I am attempting to enroll on a fitness programme...

Rather ironically, my next act was to accompany the family down to local favourite Wongs for an excellent Chinese meal with lashings of Cab Sauv for the young ladies and a refreshing cider for your correspondent while mum enjoyed a ginger beer and lime...

Outside, lightning flashed, thunder crashed and the rain lashed...

A lift home through the rain and we found this wee beastie on the path...



“Have I Got News For You” and “How to Write a Pop Song” entertained...

Ended the day with the new album from Canadian favourite Dallas Green aka City and Colour – great songs...

Highlight of the Day : A visit from sister Pam - lookin' well...

4 comments:

Paul R said...

"Pam looking good..."

So I see. Excellent!

Enjoy 'High Voltage', I 'll not make it after all as I have the last of my exams on the 26th (the only exam that is moveable) Sobriety, sleep, and no banging of the head in the days prior may help achieve a positive outcome. Much as I'd like to see Dream Theater they'd only remind me of the maths I'm doing.

Looking forward to a bar by bar (see what I did there?) account of the festival in the not too distant future.

Rock on.

Paul

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Cheers Paul

Good luck with the exam - after you've done it you can read the blow-by-blow account of High Voltage...

Alonso Arreola said...

Thanks a lot! Trey Gunn send me your link... all the best from Mexico my friend, I will listen your music too!, Alonso Arreola

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Cheers Alonso - I am somewhat embarrassed that a musician of your ability will be listening to my music!

Good to hear from you.

All the best from Scotchland to Mexico!