Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Keep living...

Playlist
Mendelssohn – Lieder Ohne Worte
Various – Recent Acquisitions on Shuffleplay
Various – Fill Your Head With Rock
Lonesome Stone - OST
Cloudland Blue Quartet – Acoustic Soundingfall
Laura Pausini – Primavera in Anticipo
Udo Lindenberg – Stark wie Zwei

Six months on to the day since the release of my latest album “Soundingfall”, tonight was to be the debut of many of its songs and so it was home early to prepare for the gig...

Spent the afternoon gathering together all the stuff I was taking – mic stands, music stands, mics, leads, CDs, posters, flyers, guitar (of course) etc etc...



Felt extremely nervous (stupidly)...

To take my mind off matters, I downloaded a couple of old albums I used to have – the famous CBS sampler “Fill Your Head With Rock” – on listening, it wasn’t quite as good as my memories of 1973 would have had me believe...

The download was an LP transfer – complete with jumps...



Then, I found the OST of Lonesome Stone, a show I saw on the Fringe in 1974 at which I bought this LP – I remember going to the Ross Bandstand in Princes St Gardens to see them play on a rainy Saturday morning a couple of days later...

This is a frankly dreadful LP but it was ok at the time...



I had the tea ready in time for the Exec Producer arriving home, then off to the venue where I met up with accompanist Peri Urban, host Jim Igo and soundman Dave O’Hara...



The soundcheck put my nerves at ease – sounding quite good...

Then, people started to arrive and the nerves returned...

And so, tonight I made a return to the live stage for my first full gig since March 2008...

It was a successful and extremely enjoyable night, playing to a packed room which included amongst others, the Exec Producer and her best chum Lynn, nephew Andy, Dr Prog, ex-band mates Jamie, George, Malcolm, Bob, Gus (and his lovely wife Sandra), and producee Ian S, travel writer of the parish...

Also along were old schoolfriends Steve and Fred (and Steve's chum), ladies from the offices of "The Man", Caroline, Gillian and Tracey and, valiantly, all the way from Inverness on her way to Glasgow, old college colleague of the Exec Producer and mine, Karell, who also brought along a chum...

Apologies if I've missed you off of that roll of honour - you might see yourself in this pic...



OK,maybe not, how about these...







Of course my old Dancers of San Martino cohort Mr Peri Urban provided excellent support on guitar and vocals and, after seven rehearsals, the set went almost flawlessly...

For once, I kept the embarrassing between song chat to an absolute minimum, not speaking at all in fact until almost the end of the set...

I liked that...

First time we'd played live together since 1985 I thought, but Peri reminded me of an outing in 1988 as a duo version of Sombre Reptiles playing the “Heavenview” album, supporting my then five piece band Call Me Clive...

Still, not bad after 21 years...

The evening was the twenty fourth in Jim Igoe's "Secret CD" series at The Phoenix Cellar Bar in Broughton Street and featured a very strong line up of Jennifer Ewan, Cloudland Blue Quartet (that’s me), Kim Edgar and David Ferrard...

Our set comprised 8 songs from "Soundingfall" and the two recently written pieces which will no doubt be on the next LP, due 2011...

"Harmony with menace" said Ms Fi the lady at the door who was handing out my flyers...

I liked that too...

If you want to listen to or download "Soundingfall" go here...



...and the specially recorded "Acoustic Soundingfall" (including two brand new songs)...



I gave away 25 copies of the acoustic souvenir at the door with flyers re “Soundingfall” and the back catalogue ...

Rather than downloading the music for free, you can of course buy the shiny disc versions, with full artwork, here...

To give you a taster, here's a collage of the 13 songs on the original LP...

Soundingfall Collage 7:07


If you couldn't make it along, not to worry, I may play again sometime but check out these sites...

Cloudland Blue Quartet
Website : Crispycat Recordings
Store : Crispycat Music Shop
Free Music : Crispycat Library
Myspace : Cloudland Blue Quartet

As is usually the way at these things, I didn’t really get a chance to mingle with the people who’d come along in impressive numbers to support me but, post gig I enjoyed a drink in the nearby Barony Bar with Anne and Lynn, George and Bob and managed a few words with Jamie before he had to head off for a trip to London tomorrow...

Lifts home for Lynn and George (who was up from the Borders for the gig and overnighting at his sister’s) then back to Crispycat Towers around 1am...

A very good day indeed...

Highlight of the Day : What do you think?

5 comments:

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

Comments have been moved to the post for 4th May...

Anonymous said...

Sounding good sir.

I'll check it out properly when I have time.

Good vibe.

Cloudland Blue Quartet said...

many thanks for your kind words BigRab

jimbo said...

Sorry I can't make it tonight Dave...I am gigging in South Queensferry...
btw say hello to Kim Edgar from me...
I've never met her but she was taught music by my mum, and gave here a nice tribute in a little evening news interview she did a few months ago...

Ali said...

Sorry we missed you. Hope to catch up soon. Ali