Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Vancouver - Edinburgh (2)

Playlist
Various – Rock & Pop Jukebox Shuffleplay
David Reilly – Anthology 10
Sarah Harmer – We Were Here
City and Colour – Sometimes
No Horses – No Horses
Kensington Prairie – Captured in Still Life
Cloudland Canyon – Lie In Light
Holy F*ck – LP
Chad Wackerman – Scream
John Coltrane – Settin’ the Pace

Scotland is eight hours ahead of Vancouver and, at some point in the night, the crew on the plane must have switched to Scottish time...

We were watching “What Happens in Vegas” (admittedly I was not listening, merely watching)...

For some reason known only to the crew, they decided to serve the evening meal at around midnight, just as the film was coming to its climax – great timing – the stewards and their huge trolleys of food certainly made for better doors than windows...

Of course the serving of the meal awoke Tweedle Dum and Tweedle Dee behind me – consequently I didn’t sleep all night although Anne, who is admirably much more tolerant of inconsiderate idiots than I am, did manage to catch some shut eye...

Even if I had been able to drift off, I’m sure I would have been awakened by the crew’s seeming inability to work any of the lights in the cabin properly, switching them on and off at random intervals...

My sleeplessness was such that I was reduced to watching a Harry Potter film, again, of my own volition, without sound...

Imagine then my relief to finally touch down at Glasgow Airport at 1:15 pm local time (5:15 am Vancouver time)...

After slight delays at Passport Control and Baggage reclaim, picking the car up went without a hitch and by 2 we were on our way along the M8 back to Edinburgh, arriving at Crispycat Towers at 3...

In amongst a mountain of mail, the latest edition of The Wire was behind the door – with two new free CDs – as was the long awaited copy of “Lou Reed Live” from e-bay...

While Anne immediately went to bed, I stayed up listening to new music and transferring the pictures from the holiday to the hard drive...

A call from sister Sheila advised my mum was in hospital and had been since Friday – nothing life threatening though and Sheila was visiting tonight so we didn’t need to go till tomorrow...

So, at 7, as previously arranged, we drove back along the M8 to Armadale to pick up much-missed Meg the Black Cat from ex-mum Julia’s place...

Julia very kindly provided lamb casserole with cous cous as sustenance before we headed home around 9:30...

I continued listening to my new CDs and uploading the pics while Anne watched some recorded “Coronation St” – both back in the old routine already...

To bed at 11:30 – absolutely whacked having been awake for around 31 hours...

Ahh, memories...



Highlight of the Day : Seeing Meg the Black Cat again...

No comments: