Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oh yes...

Playlist
Allan Holdsworth – Then : Live in Tokyo 04-06/05/90
King Crimson – Live at Park West, Chicago, 07/08/08
Steve Howe Trio – Live at the Platform, Morecambe 15/05/07
Circa – Live 03/05/08
The Buggles – Adventures in Modern Recording
T Rex – The Slider

Live music dominated today...

Allan Holdsworth, whom I’ll see next week, accompanied on my journey into town with a concert from Tokyo recorded on my birthday in 1990...

Another no-buy day at FOPP. I know I definitely pondered a number of items including Bonnie “Prince” Billy & Tortoise but, for the life of me, now I’m back home, not one other springs to mind...

Watched Motherwell in Europe (Queen of the South remain Scotland’s highest European scorers so far this year after celtic’s 0-0 draw last night)...

The Steelmen managed to lose by only 1-0 in France so still have a slim chance of progressing...

Anne was off uptown with Lynn tonight so I gave them both a lift into Igloo near Stockbridge before returning home and, instead of going along to out of the Bedroom, played three songs in the house...

Then some surfing, checking out the new Yes vocalist – he seems to do a mighty fine impersonation of Jon Anderson from what I can find on YouTube – my search, however, also uncovered the Steve Howe (also of Yes – and Asia) Trio which features said guitarist with his son Dylan on drums along with the pianist from the Dylan Howe Quintet, Ross Stanley, on Hammond Organ....

I have an excellent disc of the DHQ live in Soho which I picked up on our trip to Manchester last year...

Further digging found a live recording downloadable from this blog...

They are influenced by the likes of Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, Elvin Jones, Philly Joe Jones, Roy Haynes, Jimmy Smith and Larry Young and the recording features over 100 minutes of hard-bopping sound – even covering a couple of Yes tunes along the way...

Tasty...

Of course I then had to, had to, trawl through the entire blog of Yes and Yes related recordings and ended up downloading a thirty-nine minute Yes Medley by off-shoot band Circa (featuring Yesman Alan White and ex-Yesmen Tony Kaye and Billy Sherwood) – impressive...



On a blog amongst the links on this one I found a download of an album for which I’ve searched for a very long time to find on CD, “Adventures in Modern Recording” by The Buggles...

Result...

At 11:30 the call for a pick up came and I played taxi for the second time this evening...

Highlight of the Dasy : Music discoveries...

No comments: