Friday, July 01, 2016

A sixfold increase in time wasting capability...

Playlist
Various - Cloudland Blue Eclectic Selection Tracks on Shuffleplay
Abba - The Singles : The First Ten Years
Moby - Long Ambients 1: Calm. Sleep.
Funkadelic - Mastercuts Funk
King Crimson - Lizard
Peter Hammill - The Silent Corner and the Empty Stage
Mott The Hoople - The Hoople
Kracker - A Song for Polly (Single)
Bobbie McGee - Rock and Roll People (Single)
Queen - Sheer Heart Attack
Juicy Lucy - Lie Back and Enjoy It
Deep Purple - Made In Japan

Still full of the lurgi, I set out down the hill, very probably inappropriately dressed but feeling so gruesome, I didn't care...

...because I'd spent the best part of two hours before leaving, trying to sort out problems with our router...

In the end I finally conceded it was goosed...

Accordingly, Annie spent the day in the Interweb Wilderness...

At least the weather was good...


At lunchtime, a new machine was purchased...

Download speeds are now six times as fast as they were...


...and so, tonight, this trusty old timer was finally retired (to the bin)...


Meanwhile the good weather continued...


 The wee girl from next door, Milka (I think) was out taking her first go on a two wheeler bike with stabilisers...

I remember my own experience of this, probably around 1964 or '65...

Super exciting...

In the early evening, a post from Sid Smith on Facebook asked for stories of particular passages from the music of King Crimson, which held a special place for people...

For me, it's "Indoor Games" from "Lizard" - at around 2:10 - the quiet section re training baboons to sing...

I'm sure you know it!

Anyway, whenever I hear the sheer unearthliness of the sound of that 30 second section of my first ever Crimson purchase (bought on the strength of the cover - and, perhaps, the presence of Jon Anderson - I'd never even heard of King Crimson), I am back to those Saturday afternoons, winter of 1974, selling tape recorded LPs to the hippy guy down at Greyfriars Market at the foot of Cockburn St in Edinburgh, purely to be able to to buy more LPs, before visiting the nearby National Museum, my new purchases being carried proudly under my arm... 

Then, bus home, tea and an evening spent in my bedroom, heater on full blast, trying to understand what on earth I'd just bought...

Plus ca change...

Anyway, that led me to look through my 1974 diary and I found these entries in April...

I could've been a contender perhaps, had it not been for that pesky ball...



Proof too, however, that I once had hair, a distinct lack of sartorial elegance - which is with me to this day - and was not that good at spelling "Genisis" - although I kind of anticipated an Arnold Schwarzenegger film which would appear in 40 years...

And, talking of football, Wales showed tonight that it's possible to be on the wrong side of a 48 - 52 result but still stay in Europe...


If only...

Now they face Portugal in the semi final next Wednesday - could they make it to the final?

Superb achievement - if only England had won the group, they could have been there tonight - getting a tanking off the Belgians...

Go Wales!

Highlight of the Day : New router...

No comments: