Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Too good to be true is usually too good to be true...

Playlist
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Gold Leaf Deep red
Cloudland Blue Quartet - Over the Blue and Gold
Various Composers - Music of the 20th Century Avant Garde
David Bowie - The Next Day
David Bowie - Hours
Various - Pure Psychedelic Rock
Lou Reed & Metallica - Lulu
Phil Manzanera - Vozero
Moby - Destroyed
Public Image Limited - Album
Alban Berg Quartett - Hommage

A good morning...

Up early again and some quick work...

Out into the cold sun, soundtracked by some of my more mental soundscaping and sky-saw guitaring from 17 years ago...




At lunchtime, a meet with brother-in-law Keith in Fopp to collect series 3 of "Spiral" - I was telling him of my experience with Spotify...

Some new stock has arrived - maybe Fopp's not down the pan after all...

I, of course, partook - some psychedelic rock (4CD set), Lou Reed & Metallica (2CD), Moby's latest, an old PIL album and a not quite so old Phil Manzanera disc...

At the counter, eschewing my glasses, I accidentally entered the wrong PIN for my card a goodly number of times, until it was blocked...

Using a standby, I later called the bank and cleared matters up...

Idiot...

On the way home, met brother-in-law Bobby power walking and joined him, telling him too of Spotify...

Back home, under an orange sun...


Two deliveries, a 4CD set of 20th century music including works by Tavener, Ligeti, Webern, Varese, Lutoslawski, Takemitsu, Cage and Schnittke -  a veritable feast...

The second, a five disc box set of the Alban Berg Quartett - yowsa...

So here I am ripping all these and the Fopp purchases to the hard drive, having just watched another dark episode of "Terminator : The Sarah Connor Chronicles"...

David Bowie's new album is on its way from Amazon...

But, tonight I decided to listen to it on Spotify...

This is the first time I've played a reasonable number of tracks on the service - the ads are intrusive - and there was me telling Keith and Bobby today how good it was too (having never endured an ad before)...

You seem to get two songs and then some ads...

Plus I'm noting the quality is not as good even as my home made 128kbps MP3s...

Now I know why I still buy CDs - I could, like Dr Prog, pay £10 pm to listen without ads but I still like to actually have something...

It'll be useful for trying out new stuff I suppose...

Meanwhile Anne is out for mother's Day with her mum and Jane at the restaurant where we were with my mum and sister on Sunday...

I am enjoying music and awaiting the call...

Highlight of the Day : New stock in Fopp...

No comments: