Thursday, July 09, 2009

A day in the life...

Playlist
Various – Prog Rock 1967-1973

Confined to the house and, to monitor my “The Man” e-mails, confined to the PC...

Of course I’m not supposed to be working as I’m signed off...

My way of relaxing is to start compiling what will be a multi disc set comprising the history of Progressive Rock from 1967 (The Beatles’ “Sgt Pepper”) to 1979 (Pink Floyd’s “The Wall”)...



The selection of albums is not mine but is based on this excellent Prog Rock timeline which has an informed review of each album mentioned (accessed by clicking on the album title) and a link to CD Universe in case you want to buy it, see the track list or contributors list or sample the music...

Obviously my collection is limited to albums I own or from which I have tracks on single artist or various artist compilations...

There are just over 250 albums in the timeline (with a distinct bias towards Jethro Tull and Van der Graaf Generator it seems). I own around 110 and have tracks from a further 50 or so...

Today I made it through to Fripp & Eno’s “No Pussyfooting” at the end of 1973, the 85th of the 160 albums my compilation will feature...

Later on, the fourth episode of “Torchwood” kept up the standard, as yet another stalwart bit the dust and Capt Jack was killed for around the sixth or seventh time this week...

Grande Finale tomorrow...

Dreadful “Question Time” – the majority of the audience were supposedly University graduates or students. Their inability to communicate any idea cohesively (and without the use of the word “like”) was worrying...

Snoozed through “This Week” then off to bed with more Prog Rock in the phones...

Highlight of the Day : Discovering some excellent music hidden away in my own collection...

No comments: