Sunday, February 03, 2013

Roosevelt to robinson...

Playlist
Alexisonfire – Old Crows Young Cardinals
Alice Cooper – The Definitive Alice Cooper
Alice Cooper – Welcome 2 My Nightmare (Extras)
Gordon Ferries – Les Plaisirs les plus Charmants
Frank Sinatra – My Way : The Best of Frank Sinatra
Various - Glam
Various – Jackie the Album
Various – Jackie the Album Vol 2
Nits – Alankomaat
Nits – Urk
Nits – 1974
Various – Last 100 Acquisitions

This morning, my curiosity ended up leading me to listen to what is, for most of us, an obscure Dutch band, Nits...

This is how it came about...

After last night's show, I decided to listen to some Frank Sinatra, ex of Sister Pam's CD collection...

I listened to his version of "Mrs Robinson", originally from his 1968 album "My Way" and noted that he changed the lyrics more than I had previously thought...

Not content with amending the name "Jesus" to "Jilly" so as not to offend certain American radio audiences of the day - I had not realised that he added completely new verses too...

On Googling these facts, I discovered I had in my collection a song which extends the story told in "Mrs Robinson" by imagining what would happen if Benjamin Braddock sought her out years later...

The song "Robinson", on Nits' album  "Alankomaat", originally quoted freely from Paul Simon's original but Mr S refused to allow his lyrics to be used on the final version...

Further background reading led me to the fact that the song was originally entitled "Mrs Roosevelt" until Simon & Garfunkel were contracted to write music for "The Graduate" and Simon, lacking in decent new material for the deadline, was told in no uncertain terms that it would be better if the protagonist's name were to be amended to "Robinson"...

So there you go...

Anyway, this afternoon, we walked round to Jane and Bobby's...  



...for a lift with said J&B and Anne's mum to Domenico's in Leith, where we met up with Keith and Maureen and enjoyed a right Royal slap up feed...


...including the best pasta in the world (apart form the Exec Producer's of course), which featured smoked haddock, peas and cream...


...and a cod based dish for many of my co-diners...


So filled up were we by this excellent gastronomy, that no tea was required and the evening was spent watching the last two episodes of "Borgen", the welcome return of "Law and Order : Criminal Intent" and "Person of Interest"...

A relaxing Sunday...

Highlight of the Day : Excellent pasta... 

No comments: