Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Poignant beauty...

Cloudland Blue Quartet - Track of the Day
"I Walk to the Beat of a Cold Broken Heart" from "Splinterheart" (2010)


Playlist
UK - Live in Edinburgh 5/5/78
Paul Buchanan - Mid Air
Paul Buchanan - Mid Air (2nd Disc)
dEUS - Keep You Close

The sun is going down...



On the fifth of May1978, I had the chance to see UK on their debut tour, just after the release of their first LP...

They played eight songs in 75 minutes - five of them were unreleased; two did not make it onto their second, final album the next year...

Bands took chances in those days...

I partied the night away instead and Sister Pam went in my place with her chum Janice...

Today, I listened the recording Pam made - if I listened really closely, I could hear her cheering and clapping...

Gone now...

It overcomes me sometimes, often...

Tomorrow, 34 years on, I will see the group play at last...

They will only play music written in the 70's...

The RPI in May 1978 was 49.61, last month it stood at 240.80 - so the £2.20 ticket from 1978 ought to have cost £10.68...

But it will be worth the £58 VIP entry fee and the cost of transport to the Big Smoke and an overnight stay to attend the soundcheck, meet the band and, finally, hear this music live...

Today, the Exec Producer very kindly collected the Paul Buchanan box from the Post Office...



Paul Buchanan's album is a masterpiece of melancholy - I am going that way - I have been for a long, long time...

It's no bad thing...

People often criticise my music for being too depressing...

But, somehow, Paul Buchanan's melancholy is strangely uplifting - in a way that can move a grown man to tears...

There are a few artists who make me feel like giving up making music, as the bar is just too damn high - this is one of them...

Poignant beauty...

And now, to the latest dEUS album...

Highlight of the Day : Paul Buchanan, Mid Air...

No comments: