Sunday, January 01, 2012

Deciding to keep going...

Cloudland Blue Quartet - Track of the Day
"This Is All There Is Pt 1" from "Callingstill" (1997)


Playlist
Alice Cooper – Billion Dollar Babies
Alice Cooper – Muscle of Love
Alice Cooper – School’s Out
David Bowie – Aladdin Sane
David Bowie – Ziggy Stardust
Mott the Hoople -All the Young Dudes
T Rex - Ride a White Swan
Uriah Heep - demons and Wizards
Alice cooper - Love it to Death
The Velvet Underground – Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground
Michael Quatro – In Collaboration with the Gods
Alice Cooper – School Days
Ringo Starr – Ringo
Cream – Cream On Top
Gentle Giant - Pretentious

Well, I swithered long and hard about whether to continue this drivel into yet another year, my eighth...

But I'm typing this up early doors on the 3rd of January having decided to keep it going...

I know it's rubbish really but, mainly, it's so, on each day, I can look back and see what I was doing on said day the year before and the year before that etc etc...

What kind of persuaded me was something I was doing tomorrow (at the time of writing, yesterday), which was continuing with yet another pointless, time wasting project I started on New Year's Day...

I found an old excel spreadsheet of albums I owned on vinyl, ordered chronologically re when I made the purchases...

I re-started analysing how many of these I now have on CD (68%) and which, if I don't have, I have on a hard drive or from which I have tracks on various compilations...

Hell, I even started recreating some of the albums in little plastic sleeves...

An old Velvet Underground compilation I bought in 1975...



...the Alice Cooper double set of their first two LPs re-released in an excellent sleeve in 1973 to cash in on their "biggest band in the world" status at that point...



A Gentle Giant compilation, with an excellent, tongue in cheek title...



...erm, Ringo Starr?



...and Cream - so rare I couldn't find a decent scan of the cover...



Anyway, I had initially only listed the titles and now I was adding the performers, most of which I knew by heart but, for some of which, I had to return to the original source of the information on the list - my diaries and charts from 1972 to 1983 (amazing to think I "only" bought records for around 14 years but have been buying CDs now for nearly twice as long)...

I actually used to keep written diaries back in those days - mostly drivel like this - what I did today, work on music carried out and lists of music bought and acquired...

It was disappointing when I came across long periods where I obviously just couldn't be bothered writing down what I'd done...

So there you go - that's why this is continuing - though why it needs to be published on the net for all to see is another question of course...

So, first day of a new year and, apart from the above, what did I do today...

Up at 10 after a bad night's sleep and tidied up and did all the dishes whilst Annie slept on...



When Annie eventually surfaced around 11:15, it was clear she wasn't doing too well...

We enjoyed the annual ritual of the New Year’s Day Concert from Vienna - now just one more thing which will always remind me of sister Pam...

Then a charming film from 2008 with an excellent performance from Peter O'Toole, "Dean Spanley" - an initially weird concept which ended very poignantly indeed - regarding a dog reincarnated as a clergyman...

You had to be there...

Then, while Anne continued to feel unwell and snoozed on the sofa under a downie, I commenced the project referred to above...

In the early evening, we watched and wondered about "The Gruffalo" and "The Gruffalo's Child" - hugely disappointing but, like "Harry Potter" I suppose you reap what you sow when you watch children's stuff...

More listing and recreating of old albums followed...

Then the new episode of the TV version of "Sherlock Holmes" - set in the present - another excellent film - and Anne started to perk up a bit for this, followed by "Match of the Day 2"...

Ended the first day of the year with some more listing before hitting the sack, once again having done nothing of any import all day...

Highlight of the Day : Listing, recreating and Sherlock Holmes...

No comments: