Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Cat Fight!! Production!! Fives!!

Ok it's not quite Lights! Camera! Action! but this morning, at around 5 am, and in a similar fashion to quite a few mornings recently if the truth be told, Meg the Black Cat went careering down the stairs and proceeded to Yowl at the very teeth gratingly annoying top of her voice due to the presence of a little black and white cat with a bell sitting on our outside living room window sill.

Needless to say the condition of our inside living room window sill is deteriorating by the day due to Meg's rather agitated state which seems to involve scratching the hell out of our lovely wooden sill. You've got to love the wee tyke though eh?

Anne admitted to me tonight that the thought which went through her head as I ran down the stairs naked to wrest Meg from the sill, dump her in the hall and shut the living room door tight, wasn't "I hope David doesn't trip and go head first through the front door and end up naked in the garden at 5 am". No, it was "that cat's got to go".

By this evening the Black Cat was forgiven, as she is so nice.

So I was up at 5 - and I took the opportunity to finish off the splicing together of one of the tracks from Ian's session on Sunday and then burn rough versions of everything we have to CD. I was finished by 7:30 and saving the tracks to the hard drive on the computer.

As for fives, well, once again I made it into the chosen ten who fought it out tonight and this week, I was a "Light". I spent the first 10 minutes or so in goal and took are rather annoyingly "sore one" to the head early doors. Once again my little old lady goalkeeping technique was to the fore - and once again the ball kept hitting off me rather sorely. Ow-ya.

Once in the outfield though, I contributed at least two goals that I remember, one was a dead ringer for David Narey's "toe-poke" for Scotland against Brazil in 1982 (the opener - after which Brazil slotted a cool 4 past the Scots).

The other was a shot from half way which I bent around at least two defenders and the goalkeeper, much to my delight - just like the old days. (of course I may well be slightly biased and be making both these sound better than they actually were - but that's how I saw them...).

The "Lights" won tonight by two goals - we didn't keep the scores just shouted "one up darks" or "two up lights" or "level" after each goal. An enjoyable evening.

The MBFives (that's Meadowbank Fives, after the venue at which we used to play our games) Awards Ceremony is on Friday night and I've been looking back at the previous winners in my capacity as organiser.

Although the awards are annual, we only seem to award them every two years. In 2001 I won the Lee Harvey Oswald Award For Deadliest Finisher but also the Stanley Matthews Statue Award For Most Static Player.

I retained the latter in 2003 adding to it the Heinz Chocolate Steam Pudding Award For Player Least Likely to Turn On A Sixpence. So I'm hoping I can maybe pick something up on Friday....

No comments: