Saturday, January 24, 2015

Dreaming of the future while conjuring up the past...

Playlist
Booker T. & The MG's - The Best Of Booker T & The MGs
The Chic Organization - Up All Night
Tangerine Dream - The Virgin Years: 1974-1978
Richter - Vivaldi Four Seasons Recomposed by Max Richter
Crispycat Recordings - Original Tapes
Jordi Savall: Hespèrion XX - Medinaceli 1: Moyen Âge & Renaissance
Helbig - Pocket Symphonies
Haydn - Music For Lute
Schumann - Piano Concertos
Gil Shaham, Göran Söllscher - Paganini For Two
Alfred Brendel & Cleveland Quartet - Schubert "Trout" Quintet
Rasmussen - Dancing Raindrops
Shostakovich; Lewensohn - Works For Viola & Chamber Orchestra
Thiele - Orchestral Works
Weiss - The Rest is Silence
Luython - Musik Am Prager Hof Kaiser Rudolf II
William S. Burroughs - Dead City Radio
David Sylvian - Everything And Nothing
Tangerine Dream - Croydon 1975
Sonny Clark - Cool Struttin'
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else
Weather Report - Sweetnighter
Telemann - Music for Flute, Oboe and Guitar
Mertens - Integer Valor : To Fill In The Blank
Sun Ra - Space Is The Place
James Morrison - The Awakening
Dittersdorf - Bratschen-Sonaten
Beethoven - The Complete String Quartets
Various - Wait a Minute : The Stax & Satellite Story
Ten Holt - Canto Ostinato XXL (4)
Tangerine Dream - The Virgin Years: 1977-1983

I go to bed dreaming of the point that I can get up again - is that a lust for life?

As soon as I wake up I start thinking about all the things I might do - especially on a Saturday or Sunday and so I rise as early as possible...

But, usually, as you will be aware, my days come to virtually nothing...

As was the case today...

Up just before 8, which was late but pretty good considering I retired around 3 am...

Coffee secured and to work...


Updated my Excel Spreadsheet of CDs I own...

I did this with a view to identifying CDs I might dispose of...

That failed...

I updated my playlist of "last 100 albums I've bought"...

To the attic and sifting through boxes of tapes to find anything of interest (to me) which might make a worthwhile experiment re the newly acquired Nakamichi Tape Deck...

A pile of tapes was duly selected and brought down to the back room...

Of course they must be recorded in "real time"...

I found 2 C90s of recordings from February and March 1996 which never saw the light of day...

I had undertaken a project to programme all the tracks from the early Sombre Reptiles LPs onto my then music station and had obviously recorded each one as I went along...

The sound quality is quite good and so I started a transfer from cassette to MicroSD...


Just as I approached the 3 hour mark, attached by headphones, I absent mindedly moved away from the box on which everything was perched and, accidentally, pulled the recording machine off the box...

It turned itself off and deleted the 3 hours of recordings I'd just painstakingly carried out...

Oh well...

I did manage to transfer four items...

An EP of studio and live recordings of my band Call Me Clive from the late 80's (I was singing along good style)...

A two song demo tape of, firstly, a song which ended up on my 1987 album "Smalltalk" called "The Straw That Broke the Camel's Back" - working title "Fuck You" apparently - and, secondly, a cover of Alice Cooper's "Dead Babies"...

And three sets by Capital Models - a rehearsal at original guitarist Eric Merrill's "bunker" probably recorded between Xmas and New Year 1979...


...our first gig on 4 Jan 1980 recorded by sister Pam at The Dryden Club in Loanhead and a gig at the Netherbow Theatre in Edinburgh in March 1980, by which time Eric and drummer Jim had been replaced by drummer Keith and Nicky Hind...



All this while Anne and her mum witnessed Hearts' first defeat of the season 3-2 at home to Falkirk while Hibernian beat Queens 2-0 in Dumfries.  These two results combined meant that Queens fall to fifth in the table and, for the first time this season, are outwith the play off zone...

In the evening an enlightening programme on Mozart ("The Joy of Mozart") (Mozart wrote his first symphony at the age of 8....yes, 8!!!) preceded this week's double bill of "Spiral" with a shock at the end of episode 6...

Then, some experimenting with trying to up the audio quality of a couple of today's transferred tapes - to no avail...

To bed just after midnight accompanied by Tangerine Dream's "Force Majeure" and dreaming of the point I can get up again tomorrow...

And so it goes...

Highlight of the Day : Old tapes rediscovered, even though in reality, they're not very good...

No comments: