Wednesday, July 09, 2014

The rules of karma...

Playlist
Yes - Heaven and Earth
Eno & Hyde - High Life
Uriah Heep - Outsider
Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture
Various Composers - Pulitzer Prize Winners
The Lindsays - Sheffield Chamber Music Festival 1992 (Recreation)

We have been wondering how it is that the bird seed we've been leaving out in the garden has been having to be replenished so often...


Hmmm...

Today, whilst discussing the story of George Rochberg and his conversion from serial music to tonality, following the untimely death of his son, I came across an entry in Wikipedia re winners of the Pulitzer Prize for music...

Which gave me the idea for a new project (which, as usual, will end up not ending up)...

It also led me to look for the particular recording of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture which my dad owned in the 1960's and with which he first introduced me to the wonders of what now consumes the majority of my life - music...

Here it is...


There are a few copies on vinyl available around t'interweb but this was never released on CD....

At present I have managed to download a scratchy LP rip recording, seemingly taken from two sides of an earlier issue - however, although it's the same conductor and orchestra, I'm not sure if it's the same recording I listened to as a child...

It probably is...

This evening, I started the "Pulitzer Project", compiling a playlist of recordings I already have, such as Copland's Appalachian Spring, Barber's Piano Concerto and two Carter String Quartets (both of which won the prize - Mr Carter is one a of only a handful who have won the prize twice), an album by Ornette Coleman and a piece re 9/11 by John Adams...

I also found new-to-me music on the web by Jennifer Higdon, Kevin Puts, Caroline Shaw, Steven Stucky and John Luther Adams (as opposed to the more famous John Adams above) - with the found music of the first and third of these new names being the prize winning compositions...

Also this evening, decided to "autofill" the 160GB iPod Classic - it's now chock-a-block with 4 months' worth of music...

At nine, the second World Cup Semi Final - Argentina v Holland - I was routing for Argentina, mainly re my convoluted series of bets on them - with me winning whether they win or lose the tournament but more if they win it...

It ended in penalties with Argentina winning 4-2 in the shoot out - I was glad to see Holland go out due to the continuous diving throughout the tournament by Arjen Robben and the blatant cheating by their sub goalie Krull during the penalty shoot out with Costa Rica in the quarter final...

Karma rules...

Germany v Argentina on Sunday and both I and the Exec Producer have money on the Germans too - I will win more if they triumph but still some if they do not and Anne has cash on them to win...

So, a payday whatever happens...

Bed late with the newly filled iPod on shuffleplay...

Highlight of the Day :  New classical music / Argentina through...

No comments: