Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Let the games begin...

Playlist
Yes - Heaven & Earth
Audible Silence - Live at Brunkfest 2012
Audible Silence - An Instinctual Response
Carsten Dahl - Effata
Carsten Dahl - Papillon
Dohl - Friedhelm Dohl Edition, Vol. 4 : Gesang und Klavier
I Fagioli & The Forbury Consort - Pastyme with Good Companye
Bachmann - Rotation 90N
Carsten Dahl - Dreamchild
Lindsay String Quartet - The Late Beethoven Quartets Vol 1

Two more deleted Weekly Playlists added back for streaming - ten still to go....

Off into the day with Yes in the cans once more...

At lunchtime, a walk to the East End and the St James Centre to Danish purveyor of strange things, Tiger and came across two CDs by jazz pianist Carsten Dahl, whose album "Efatta" impressed after being purchased on my April London trip...

In the afternoon, a comment here from the Exec Producer re my latest paintings buoyed - now to convince her the accompanying soundtrack is, in fact, "music"...

Also arriving was an e-mail from music chum Jim Igoe, advising this Sunday's Listening Room at the White Horse, where Capital Models' ill-fated first gig of 2014 was to have been, will be themed re WWI...

Jim wants to play Jamie's song "The King's Country" and wondered if I'd be available to play along...

It may be possible...

In any case, so that at least Jim can do the song proud, I e-mailed him the lyrics and chords...

Back home, I attempted the song and found the chords I'd sent were actually my bass notes from when I used to accompany Jamie on the song...

Updated chords and word of my error duly advised...

My rendition of the song this evening was deemed by my own ears to be "not great"...

Meanwhile, four further one pence CDs arrived in the mail, so six new discs to listen to and rip...

The new acquisitions were:-

A disc of tunes from the court of Henry VIII, including half a dozen or so credited to the King himself...

A 72 minute piece written at the North Pole for an ensemble of violas, cellos and double bases - which reminds me of some of the longer, seldom changing, pieces I have recorded for the next CBQ LP...

A disc of the Lindsays playing a 43 minute Beethoven quartet...

And a disc of Friedhelm Dohl's music for voice and piano (and accordian), which I must admit sounds like a lady being tortured, accompanied by a piano (or accordian) being pushed down a flight of stairs...

Just up my street then...

Whilst listening, I abandoned our attempts to finally secure some seats for various Edinburgh International Festival performances - all the best seats have gone - funnily enough, considering it's around four months since I first identified the recitals we might wish to attend, during which time I have taken no action...

Idiot!

"The Mimic" was enjoyed...

As were parts of the Commonwealth Games Opening Ceremony...


Lights out post midnight...

Highlight of the Day : New music...

No comments: